Thursday, August 14, 2008

VINTAGE LINENS... WE LOVE 'EM!


Vintage linens! I love the old patterns, the feel of the heavy and sometimes nubby cotton and the memories of helping my Nana hang her linens on the old clothes line in her backyard. There still is nothing like the smell of freshly washed linens dried in the sun.

I wasn't fond of sewing with a machine until it became a necessity when I was newly married. But the minute my great aunty Laura put an embroidery hoop in my hands and gave me the rainbow of colors in threads, I was captivated. The tiny stitches had to be precise and just the perfect stitch type had to be chosen to make the final design complete. My favorites were the French knots and the lazy daisies. From the simplicity of the very first piece in childhood to the simple elegance of the new experience of ribbon embroidery, each stitch is a gift in time.





















Join with Eileen and I in the love and appreciation of vintage linens!

2 comments:

Francie...The Scented Cottage Studio said...

Ohh I am right there with ya ! I have some from my Aunties and every time I see a piece at the thrift shop I snap it up. There is just something so wonderful about having something that was lovingly hand crafted.

(())

Anonymous said...

Oh, how I love vintage linens too! I never use any other kind in my dining room. Nothing can come close...Pamela